Pwenchetameneyo ne lixsewakan....

http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/Lingui … enape.html

New Course – Spring 2009
Introduction to the Lenape Language
Lingistics 15
Instructor: Shelley DePaul
Tuesday & Thursday, 1:15–2:30p, Science Center 183

Course description:

Lenape is the language of the Native American people who lived in the Delaware Valley for thousands of years before the Europeans arrived.  The course includes conversation, grammar, and usage, as well as discussion of the conceptual elements inherent in this Algonquian language. Topics include the origin of place names in the Delaware Valley, some elements of Lenape culture, songs in the language, and discussion of the current status of Lenape as an endangered language.

This course is part of a language revitalization effort based in Lenape communities. Students will have the opportunity to participate in transcription, archiving, and other projects that contribute to that effort. No prerequisites. One semester, one credit course.

For more information about the course you can click here to email Ted Fernald, Chair of the Linguistics Department or you can call him at 610-328-8437.

Instructor Shelley DePaul researches and records Lenape bloodlines and genealogical data, with particular emphasis in the geographical area of Northeast Pennsylvania, and the documentation of marriages between Lenape Natives and German Immigrants. She has developed the Lenape Language Curriculum for use in schools,  universities and home school associations.  Shelley teaches Lenape Language classes and workshops and has presented lectures and educational programs on the subject of Lenape History and Culture to schools and universities, environmental organizations, churches, historical societies and youth groups. She was a public school teacher from 1979 until 1997.

#2 Jan-22-2009 12:30:pm

lenape

Re: Pwenchetameneyo ne lixsewakan....

Well, the first class was on the 20th.......

#3 Jan-22-2009 12:51:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

http://www.mazeguy.net/angry/banghead.gif

#4 Jan-22-2009 12:53:pm

lenape

nepe!!!!!!!!!

(do you have one of those images with 2 smilies banging their head??????hmm)

#5 Jan-22-2009 12:55:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

No but I'll look for one, this never stops!!! mad

#6 Jan-22-2009 12:57:pm

lenape

I did what *I* could, sadly it was not enough!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Jan-22-2009 01:21:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

I know. sad

#8 Jan-22-2009 07:11:pm

NanticokePiney

lenape wrote:

Don't stop trying. I'm still arguing this with PYM.  neutral

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#9 Feb-23-2009 03:36:pm

lenape

Here is a new pic of Shelly DePaul with her "language class":

http://www.lenapenation.org/news.html

The good news: it is a SMALL class, not too many people to re-educate, I see from the picture the yard sale artifacts made an appearance, don't see "Mr. Potato Head", must have prior engagements!!  LOL!

#10 Feb-23-2009 04:33:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

Here is a new pic of Shelly DePaul with her "language class":

http://www.lenapenation.org/news.html

The good news: it is a SMALL class, not too many people to re-educate, I see from the picture the yard sale artifacts made an appearance, don't see "Mr. Potato Head", must have prior engagements!!  LOL!

tongue

#11 Feb-23-2009 04:35:pm

sschkaak

"Instructor Shelley DePaul researches and records Lenape bloodlines and genealogical data, with particular emphasis in the geographical area of Northeast Pennsylvania, and the documentation of marriages between Lenape Natives and German Immigrants."

Where can one access this information?  How many Lenape married German immigrants?  Who were they?  Who are their descendants?  Why is this information being kept secret?  I've never met a real Indian who won't say who his or her Indian forbears were!  (No need to answer:  I realize all my questions must, apparently, remain rhetorical.)

neutral

#12 Feb-23-2009 05:53:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I missed that part! Darn my dad's family was German and came from Eastern Pa. does that mean??

Sheesh seriously, I've had enough problems over the years tracking down that I would LOVE to see those records. roll  I'm sure they'll remain Invisible, guess that's where they came up with the term "Invisible Indians of Pa"

#13 Feb-23-2009 06:02:pm

lenape

Come On you two!  The records must remain in hiding, they are scared to bring them out, such cherished family documents, oh my, to think that these people would stoop to the level of actually proving anything they say, they are above that!  Don't you realize just how hard it was for these poor, dear people to come out of hiding after such a hard life...uh....

LMAO, these conartists are dishing it out real good, the public and "educators" are eating it up, and the 'others' are watching to see if they can get something out of this, the whole thing is CROW S@$T!!!!!!!

#14 Feb-23-2009 07:25:pm

NanticokePiney

lenape wrote:

Come On you two!  The records must remain in hiding, they are scared to bring them out, such cherished family documents, oh my, to think that these people would stoop to the level of actually proving anything they say, they are above that!  Don't you realize just how hard it was for these poor, dear people to come out of hiding after such a hard life...uh....

Like having the Klu Klux Klan right in Shiloh, Bridgeton and Greenwich to "string one of those dirty N***** marrying Indians up" If they "get outta line". Like being beat up and chained down in some Mexican's blood and feces by the Bridgeton NJ State Police for being a "dirty Gouldtown Indian".  "CROW MWE!" IS RIGHT ON TARGET! neutral   CRAP!!! mad

#15 Apr-27-2009 10:00:pm

lenape

Bryn Mawr Now
Anthro-linguistics major Maureen Hoffman ’09 chooses between Fulbright and JET Program
Posted April 27, 2009

hoffmannOne day last month, Maureen Hoffmann was thrilled to learn that she had been selected for a prestigious Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship in Taiwan. Later the same day, she was informed that she had also been accepted into the Japan Exchange and Teaching program (JET), a language-teaching exchange sponsored by the Japanese government.

For Hoffmann, the decision between the two coveted positions represented a choice between deepening a childhood connection to one foreign nation and establishing an entirely new relationship with another. Oddly enough, Hoffmann has traveled to Asia on a Fulbright before — when, as a second-grader, she accompanied her law-professor father to Japan, where he served as a Fulbright scholar. That stay lasted four months; three years later, the family spent a year in Japan.

“It’s always interesting to go someplace you’ve never been before,” Hoffmann says, “But because I haven’t returned to Japan since I was a child, the idea of living there again is very appealing. ” Ultimately, she decided to accept the offer from JET.

A double major in anthropology (at Bryn Mawr) and linguistics (at Swarthmore), Hoffmann eventually plans graduate study to pursue her interest in endangered languages. She is at work on a senior thesis that examines sentence intonation in Lenape, a language spoken by the now-mostly-displaced indigenous population of what is now eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey and southern New York.

“Unfortunately, the last known fluent native speaker of Lenape died in 2000, so I’m working mostly with field recordings  that were made in the late 1960s,” Hoffmann explains. “Most of the Lenape people have moved to Oklahoma, although a small population remains in this area. One of the members of the Pennsylvania group has learned the language from tapes and documents and is now teaching it at Swarthmore.”

Hoffmann’s analysis uses computer technology that was prohibitively time-consuming and expensive at the time the recordings were made, she says.

“Now this technology is incredibly accessible. The program I use can be downloaded from the Internet for free.”

She was introduced to Lenape last summer during an internship at the Smithsonian Institution’s Natural History Museum in Washington, D.C., where she served as an assistant to curator and linguist Ives Goddard, who was studying the language. She and Goddard recently presented their findings at the Conference on Endangered Languages and Cultures of Native America in Salt Lake City.

The Smithsonian internship was her second museum placement: the summer after her first year at Bryn Mawr, Hoffmann worked at a science museum in her native Bloomington, IN. The next summer, she served as a research assistant to a linguistics professor at Indiana University.

“I loved working in museums,” she said, “but I’m interested in doing field work as well as preserving existing documentation of endangered languages. Over spring break, I attended a conference on language conservation and preservation and the University of Hawaii, and I found the research presented there so exciting.”

The theme of cultural preservation is remarkably consistent in Hoffmann’s world. Her extracurricular focus at Bryn Mawr has been the Folk Club, which is dedicated to folk music and dance; she has enjoyed more than a reel or two with the Scottish Country Dance Club and has joined the local town-meets-gown group of Morris dancers, which performs in traditional costume at Bryn Mawr’s annual May Day celebration. When she returns from Japan after her year of teaching there, some disappearing cultural traditions are likely to come with her.
http://news.brynmawr.edu/?p=2539

Bold is my addition

roll  Well Shelly has seemed to con quite some people with her bastardization of the Lenape language (BANGS HEAD ON THE WALL.....)
  * just a note for those keeping score of the lies, contradictions is too polite, in one of the other articles Bob Ruth was listed as one of the last "speakers", and going back even further Shelly claimed to be "the last fluent speaker", pretty good for someone who didn't even know what a Lenape was 10 years ago!! roll

#16 Apr-27-2009 10:10:pm

lenape

on another note, Ms. DePaul is now teaching that "oney" is Lenape of "be well", which is GARBAGE, it is not even Algonkian, let alone Lenape.  It is Iroquoian, and in Cayuga can be "understood" as "be well", but can we at least keep it in the same damn language family!!  Anyone else interested in the mistakes can email me and I will send you a copy of the corrections, remember now folks she is "teaching" these mistakes to others, is that the kind of education one gets in PA!!

Xu kulamalsich!

#17 Apr-27-2009 10:39:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

A double major in anthropology (at Bryn Mawr) and linguistics (at Swarthmore), Hoffmann eventually plans graduate study to pursue her interest in endangered languages. She is at work on a senior thesis that examines sentence intonation in Lenape, a language spoken by the now-mostly-displaced indigenous population of what is now eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey and southern New York.

What?? If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a dialogue for a new sitcom. mad

“Unfortunately, the last known fluent native speaker of Lenape died in 2000, so I’m working mostly with field recordings  that were made in the late 1960s,” Hoffmann explains. “Most of the Lenape people have moved to Oklahoma, although a small population remains in this area. One of the members of the Pennsylvania group has learned the language from tapes and documents and is now teaching it at Swarthmore.”

Note the contradiction here, I thought all the Lenape speaking people were in the East  here..displaced of course. Someone better inform Canada and Oklahoma quick! Maybe Shelley and others can help them get their language back.

She was introduced to Lenape last summer during an internship at the Smithsonian Institution’s Natural History Museum in Washington, D.C., where she served as an assistant to curator and linguist Ives Goddard, who was studying the language. She and Goddard recently presented their findings at the Conference on Endangered Languages and Cultures of Native America in Salt Lake City.

Okay now this just scares me. neutral

#18 Apr-27-2009 11:20:pm

lenape

"“Unfortunately, the last known fluent native speaker of Lenape died in 2000, so I’m working mostly with field recordings  that were made in the late 1960s,” Hoffmann explains. “Most of the Lenape people have moved to Oklahoma, although a small population remains in this area. One of the members of the Pennsylvania group has learned the language from tapes and documents and is now teaching it at Swarthmore.”"

MPULCHI!!!!

errr, actually AHASCHI!!!!!

#19 Apr-29-2009 06:11:pm

Chevy

Wow. So, dePaul is a fake? 10 yrs. ago, she didn't know Lenape? Does she have any ancestry, or not? Just curious. I know next to nothing about East coast Lenape/Delaware, only some about Texas, I.T., & Oklahoma, Delaware/Lenape & not much at that. but that's where my interest is (I.T. OK, and Tx.)

#20 Apr-29-2009 08:58:pm

lenape

Chevy wrote:

Wow. So, dePaul is a fake? 10 yrs. ago, she didn't know Lenape? Does she have any ancestry, or not? Just curious. I know next to nothing about East coast Lenape/Delaware, only some about Texas, I.T., & Oklahoma, Delaware/Lenape & not much at that. but that's where my interest is (I.T. OK, and Tx.)

Well, I do not know what her "ancestry" is, she claims to have it, but so does a lot of folks.  I know a tiny bit of Southern Unami language and grammar, and an even smaller amount of Northern, but I know enough that what she teaches is garbage, at best it is some kind of conglomeration of the three dialects, and some stuff that is not even Lenape.  I have corrected numerous pages of her language, some that I sent to Swarthmore, to show how poor of quality it is, which does not seem to matter, as long as there is a bead and feather it seems to legit!  I know the customs she presents at her "shows"  are not Lenape customs, neither by eastern or western standards, this is not to say they are "good" or "bad", they are just not Lenape, have no foundation in Lenape Culture.  I have a few people in my language class who were following Shelly's lessons and they are worse off than those who know none of the language.  That is all I can say about her and what she mis-teaches.  I have worn myself out trying to show how inaccurate her material is, all for nothing, as she is still teaching the same garbage, which means others are learning inaccurately, etc... and the circle goes round and round....

edit to add: pardon the "dumb question" but what is an "I.T. Delaware"?

Last edited by lenape (Apr-29-2009 09:02:pm)

#21 Apr-30-2009 02:03:am

Chevy

Oh, thanks lenape, those are good answers.

No, pardon me, I should have spoken plainly I.T. = "Indian Territory", before Oklahoma was a State. First just Indian Territory, then in 1890 there was Oklahoma Territory, before Oklahoma Statehood. = I.T. for short/ "The Nations". As in Nowata, Ok. was in the Cherokee Nation. I guess it was first Nowata, Indian Territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Okterritory.png

I couldn't get the img to work, but now maybe the link will.

Last edited by Chevy (Apr-30-2009 02:04:am)

#22 Apr-30-2009 06:33:am

lenape

Chevy wrote:

No, pardon me, I should have spoken plainly I.T. = "Indian Territory", before Oklahoma was a State. First just Indian Territory, then in 1890 there was Oklahoma Territory, before Oklahoma Statehood. = I.T. for short/ "The Nations". As in Nowata, Ok. was in the Cherokee Nation. I guess it was first Nowata, Indian Territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Okterritory.png

Wanishi!!  Just never heard the expression before, LOL, I thought you meant "Inter-Tribal", LOL!!

#23 Apr-30-2009 12:37:pm

Chevy

Communication was never my best talent. smile

I guess, in history,  I.T. is both a time, and a place.

#24 Jun-14-2009 10:32:pm

lenape

*BUMP*

#25 Jun-17-2009 09:14:pm

NanticokePiney

lenape wrote:

*BUMP*

I wish Swarthmore would contact Sondra Ball from the PYM Indian Committee. The would get a enlightened conversation. neutral

Board footer