Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 Jan-13-2009 03:57:pm

sschkaak
Website

Re: Sam Grey Wolf Hanna

Happens all the time, otta.  Every year they catch some phony "medal of honor winner" doing the school circuit.  Plenty of phony Indians.  (Iron Eyes Cody, Jamake Highwater, Dan Bear Claw, and many, many others.)

#52 Jan-13-2009 04:08:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

Happens all the time, otta.  Every year they catch some phony "medal of honor winner" doing the school circuit.  Plenty of phony Indians.  (Iron Eyes Cody, Jamake Highwater, Dan Bear Claw, and many, many others.)

LOL, look at the woman who wrote the book last year, then her own family exposed her!!  With the Indians, usually they fool non-Natives looking to hang on, in this case Sam seemed to fool Natives and non-Natives alike, that is what shocks me.  I was out to 'White Oak' with him, numerous times, have recordings of him and Fred Washington sing the old songs, hell he had me believe him and I am not that shallow, LOL, or???????????!!

#53 Jan-13-2009 04:10:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Nah it's not a matter of being shallow lenape, they are really good cons. Scary part is they start to believe their own lies.

#54 Jan-13-2009 04:37:pm

sschkaak
Website

There are real Indians, to this day, who think Evan Pritchard is the real deal!  Anybody can be hoodwinked.

#55 Jan-13-2009 05:06:pm

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

Nah it's not a matter of being shallow lenape, they are really good cons. Scary part is they start to believe their own lies.

Pathological personalities.
I think Bob Ruth actually believes what he is saying sometimes. These people create a past or existence to make up for their own shortcomings. Most of the time they come from nothing and are too lazy to make real lives.
  Since these people are sincere in their lies they are easily believed. I look back at Roy Crazyhorse or Grandpop Buster and think how snowed I and others were.

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#56 Jan-13-2009 05:43:pm

lenape

lenape wrote:

kwikwineminakwsite ok kwikwinemaihosite....   -er, ummmm- ....konaet takok ahasa sad

" if it looks like a duck and it acts like a duck.... -er, ummmm- ....perhaps another crow"

for those other than Sschkaak...

#57 Jan-13-2009 05:46:pm

lenape

where is my #@&* edit button???yikes

#58 Jan-13-2009 05:53:pm

NanticokePiney

lenape wrote:

We stole it and put it into a corn sack!  yikes

#59 Jan-13-2009 06:23:pm

sschkaak
Website

lenape wrote:

Trying to put in that -k- you missed?   lol

#60 Jan-13-2009 06:25:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

lenape wrote:

Trying to put in that -k- you missed?   lol

lol I was using the DePaul Dialect!!!

#61 Jan-13-2009 06:28:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

When I get done toting that barge and lifting that bale, I'll look into it. Next time, someone pm or post in a place where I can see there's an issue.

#62 Jan-13-2009 06:29:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

lenape wrote:

When I get done toting that barge and lifting that bale, I'll look into it. Next time, someone pm or post in a place where I can see there's an issue.

I *assumed* it was intentional....

#63 Jan-13-2009 06:31:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

tree hugger wrote:

lenape wrote:

I *assumed* it was intentional....

Well you know what they say about assuming...

#64 Jan-13-2009 08:05:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Since these people are sincere in their lies they are easily believed.

Now that statement hits the nail on the head in more than one way, Piney.

#65 Jan-13-2009 08:46:pm

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

Since these people are sincere in their lies they are easily believed.

Now that statement hits the nail on the head in more than one way, Piney.

It seems like a wannabe trait. I know "Silly Billy" believes what he spouts. Bill Thompson was the same way as with Pop Buster.

#66 Jan-14-2009 04:05:pm

lenape

While I am not trying to kick anything that is dead, LOL, I told a few that I would post this, for what ever it is worth(if anything), to whom ever(if anyone).  This is an article that was written in the Book entitled “Spirit of Geronimo Returns” by Zula Brinkerhoff.  There is also a pic and copy of his aims and goals, my scanner is not cooperating so right now I am unable to scan this, as well as other articles.

Sam Gray Wolf’s Article

Sam Gray Wolf, President of the League of North American Indians, wrote the following letter to
the Indian people on January 20, 1958. This letter was printed in the first volume of the Indian
View: “Skennoh.” (*note the same "speech" was given by Sam Hannah at the AIM Grand Council fire following the Wounded Knee Occupation)

We are still being “Civilized,” being taught the principles of “progress,” also the benefits
of a Democratic form of Government. Let us stop and consider the merits of such things, and let
us go to the original sources for out information.
First, are we “civilized” when we must go to war and kill our brothers?
Are we “Civilized” when one man “dictates” to the hundreds of thousands of men and
women?
Are we “civilized” when we build jails, orphanages, and homes for the aged?
Are we “civilized” when we take a man’s home and land away from him, force him to
change his material culture and religion?
Are we “civilized” when our young men are compelled to go into an army, learn every
means and device of killing?
Is it “civilized” to abandon one’s aged when they are no longer useful to us and enter
them into the confines of a Poor House or turn our backs on our unfortunate brother’s children
and trade our love and understanding for them by confining the little ones into an orphanage
where one man or woman is supposed to be Father, Mother, Brother, and Sister to them? Are we
“civilized when we are fortunate enough to have shelter, food and security when our next door
neighbor is hungry and has no source of income?
If this is being “civilized” then I want no part of it. I do not want to kill my brothers. I
want to care for the aged and the orphans, and to share my food and lodgings with my fellow
man as did my “uncivilized” ancestors.
“Progress,” just what is it? Is it “Progress” when we cut down the forests, kill all the fish
and game, fill the streams with garbage and filth, force people into a way of life that is unnatural
for them? Live in crowded cities, work in dirty, smokey factory or mine so that we can line a
few men’s pockets with gold?
True, the white man has made great technological and material advances, but was it
worth it in terms of human happiness and peace of mind? We must remember that with our
gains in progress, we have also “Progressed” in ways and means of destruction from the bow and
arrow to the Atomic and Hydrogen bombs, which will kill thousands and maim thousands of
innocent people, guided missiles, poison gas, germ bombs, etc. Yes, we have progressed to the
extent that we are about to “Progress” ourselves right off the face of this earth. If this then is
“Progress” I want no part of it, for I love the forests, the lakes and the animals that our Creator
put on this earth.
I love my brother and don’t want to see thousands of my fellow man being killed or
maimed in one deadly blast form an atomic bomb.
“Democracy,” let us give this some thought and reasoning! Is it a democracy when a
man loses his job because of his color, religious beliefs, or because he joined the wrong union or
voted for the wrong party? Is it democratic for the State or Federal Governments to appoint
Chiefs, men that they can use as puppets? This has been done and is still being done on the
various reserves in this country.
For untold ages the Indian people have elected their leaders. Our women have voted
since time began, but until the 19th Amendment was entered into the Constitution of this country
the white women couldn’t vote on any matters whatsoever - was this democratic? Freedom of
Speech. Yes, you may yell your lungs out, but only if your speech conforms to the various ideas
of the present administration.
Try standing on a soapbox and denouncing these foreign aid bills, denouncing the
government for forcibly taking your young men into the service, denouncing the forced and
higher taxes they take from you! Soon the police would take you and your soapbox to jail or a
mental institution. This country was populated by people fleeing tyranny - they wanted to be
free so they could practice and follow their religious beliefs and live the way that suited them -
yet, we the Indian people were and still are being prosecuted because we have our own religion,
our own way of life and moral standards which are as fine as that belonging to any race of people
now living on the face of this earth.
We have always believed in one God or “Creator.”
Yes, we are being prosecuted because of our color, our religion, and our way of life.
Why then, in this Democratic country, can’t we find this Democracy? In the old days a man was
a free agent. He formed a government to suit his own needs, a true form for Democracy. He
was never conscripted into an army, he had no Poor House nor orphanages, he took in orphans
and treated them as he did his own blood offspring. He cared for every need of his aged parents.
He had no jails nor prisons - he needed none, for stealing, rape, and murder were all but
unknown. Every man and woman had a voice in their government.
In conclusion, I would say this: We cannot go back to the bark lodge and the Tipi, we
cannot earn our salt with the bow and arrow; this would, in this day and age, be impractical. But
the things that are really dear to our people and our hearts, we can hold to, such as our ancestors’
religious beliefs which fill our every spiritual need, our code for living which includes such
attributes as honesty, sincerity, moral ethics, and love for our neighbors, our cooperativeness in
helping and understanding our brothers. We can hold to our religious and social gatherings.
Also, we can to a certain extent, hold to our arts and crafts, our material culture, which should
never be given up for the plastic gadgets, the rock ‘n’ roll and the strong drink.
Yes, we can and must remain Indian because all of us have a proud heritage - I do not
want to become “integrated” nor “assimilated” into a robot in this mass, common, drab and uncolorful
population. I want to be a free, uninhibited individual with a mind of my own, to
practice love, faith and fair-play with all people; also to create the arts and crafts of my people
and not spend my life being a slave to some machine in a big industry, withy nothing on my
mind but production.
I want to be compensated for my labors with love, understanding, gratitude, and the
knowledge that I’m needed and with the knowledge that I’m a part of our “Creator’s” great plan.
We can and must retain our individuality and must carry our load today, as did our
ancestors in their day carry their load for us. We must carry on for our future generations, that
they too may speak of us with pride.
Regardless of the situation as it exists today, being dark on the horizon for our people, we
must plan and work ahead and for our American rights, we must instruct our children in the true
life and the right path, we must join forces and unite into one organization with love and
cooperation as the foundation. Our Creator made the white, red, black, brown, and yellow races
of man. Our Creator has a reason and a purpose, which no mortal can understand.
Our Creator meant for there to be a physical and mental difference - so I say, let a white
man follow his road to destruction in his own way, but for all that is fair, let the black, yellow,
brown, and red man follow the respective trails that our Creator has given each race.
No, I don’t want to be assimilated. When I meet my “Creator,” I want to stand straight
and proud and say, “I am an Indian and I have followed the ways You have meant for me, and I
have lived and practiced the faith and the Code of Life as You have given my people.”
“Oneh,” I have spoken.
Sam Gray Wolf
President of L. N. A. I.

#67 Jan-14-2009 04:41:pm

sschkaak
Website

Anischi!  I'll try to "analyze" this when time permits.  For now, I'd simply note that he signed off with an "Oneh."  If he was Cayuga, why didn't he say, "Nya-weh."  (Correct me if I'm wrong, Mark, or anyone!)  "Oneh" is Tuscarora for 'goodbye.'

#68 Jan-14-2009 04:55:pm

lenape

Sschkaak wrote:
""Oneh" is Tuscarora for 'goodbye.'"

I always wondered where that came from, LOL!!  For what it is worth he knew "pretty good" Lenape, then again why didn't he use that?  LOL!

#69 Jan-14-2009 05:03:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

He thought no one would notice? hmm

#70 Jan-14-2009 05:12:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

He thought no one would notice? hmm

The funny thing is some from the hobbist groups use it and swear that it is Lenape, LOL!  I have seen it used by other "pan-indian" groups, kinda like the "aho" and "Mitaku Oyasin" being used by groups that are not Lakota, or where ever the "aho" began?!

#71 Jan-14-2009 06:06:pm

lenape

Another one, this is from the newsletters of the American Indian Center in California, a community center set up for the 15,000+ relocated Native People of California to meet, hold socials, get "council", apply for government "benefits"(insert sarcasm, as if the BIA has given REAL benifits), Sam was listed in 1955 as "receiving assistance", he was also the community centers registry. 

"Talking Leaf", Vol. V,IV, No. 1,2 &8, May-June,  December 1955, p.7

AT LAST*****A WORTHWHILE INDIAN COMIC STRIP*****

Our hearty congratulations to Sam Gray Wolf (Cayuga), who did such a fine job on an illustrated legend in the Smoke Signals Magazine that is published by the Indian Association of America.
We are so tired of seeing horrid savages who are called Indians, in Comic books, that we have many long years longed to see a well-illustrated strip on the American Indian and we are especially happy that it is being done by an Indian.

Gray Wolf dropped in to see us last month and we had a very fine chat with him. He hopes to start a Center in San Diego with the help of his good friend, Running Elk (Oneida). We wish him much success and hope he comes by again soon.
We had a nice communication from Sam Gray Wolf (Cayuga-Delaware), that they are planning on starting an all-Indian Center in San Diego. They already have about 30 members and a small building where they meet once each month, and where they have an Indian Arts & Crafts Shop started.

They have all joined the organization known as "The League of North American Indians", and theirs is Chapter 154.

They are trying to interest each member into working on crafts that were typical of each of their respective tribes. In other words, they are encouraging the Sioux to make war bonnets, the Iroquois to make corn husk masks, horn rattles, etc., etc., and we hope to have some of their craft items on display at the Center very shortly.

#72 Jan-14-2009 06:17:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

Another one, this is from the newsletters of the American Indian Center in California, a community center set up for the 15,000+ relocated Native People of California to meet, hold socials, get "council", apply for government "benefits"(insert sarcasm, as if the BIA has given REAL benifits), Sam was listed in 1955 as "receiving assistance", he was also the community centers registry. 

"Talking Leaf", Vol. V,IV, No. 1,2 &8, May-June,  December 1955, p.7

AT LAST*****A WORTHWHILE INDIAN COMIC STRIP*****

Our hearty congratulations to Sam Gray Wolf (Cayuga), who did such a fine job on an illustrated legend in the Smoke Signals Magazine that is published by the Indian Association of America.
We are so tired of seeing horrid savages who are called Indians, in Comic books, that we have many long years longed to see a well-illustrated strip on the American Indian and we are especially happy that it is being done by an Indian.

Gray Wolf dropped in to see us last month and we had a very fine chat with him. He hopes to start a Center in San Diego with the help of his good friend, Running Elk (Oneida). We wish him much success and hope he comes by again soon.
We had a nice communication from Sam Gray Wolf (Cayuga-Delaware), that they are planning on starting an all-Indian Center in San Diego. They already have about 30 members and a small building where they meet once each month, and where they have an Indian Arts & Crafts Shop started.

They have all joined the organization known as "The League of North American Indians", and theirs is Chapter 154.

They are trying to interest each member into working on crafts that were typical of each of their respective tribes. In other words, they are encouraging the Sioux to make war bonnets, the Iroquois to make corn husk masks, horn rattles, etc., etc., and we hope to have some of their craft items on display at the Center very shortly.

I'm not sure right now why this all sounds sooo familiar. Racking my brain and when the lightbulb goes off, I'll be back.

#73 Jan-14-2009 07:35:pm

sschkaak
Website

Maybe it's because a couple references to Sam Gray Wolf, which appeared in this California "Talking Leaf," were posted at AITF a couple years ago, by that genealogy gal (can't recall her name) who moved all her stuff over to Helen Dagner's forum, during the "Great Upheaval."  LOL!  I just visited that site to see, and it looks like Helen's the only one left standing there!  LOL~~~LOL~~~~LOLOLOLOLOL~~~~~~~~~~~~~.   neutral

#74 Jan-14-2009 07:59:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

Maybe it's because a couple references to Sam Gray Wolf, which appeared in this California "Talking Leaf," were posted at AITF a couple years ago, by that genealogy gal (can't recall her name) who moved all her stuff over to Helen Dagner's forum, during the "Great Upheaval."  LOL!  I just visited that site to see, and it looks like Helen's the only one left standing there!  LOL~~~LOL~~~~LOLOLOLOLOL~~~~~~~~~~~~~.   neutral

Now that made my night!!!!!! lol lol~~

#75 Jan-14-2009 08:12:pm

NanticokePiney

sschkaak wrote:

LOL!  I just visited that site to see, and it looks like Helen's the only one left standing there!  LOL~~~LOL~~~~LOLOLOLOLOL~~~~~~~~~~~~~.   neutral

She actually came back to AITF to promote something.  Somebody posted something about her being handicap. I posted "Yeah, she's paralyzed from the neck up". yikes
%^&$ing poster child for Prozac.......

Board footer