Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Nov-14-2008 07:01:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Lenape language legacy

I wasn't even sure where to put this article. Here you go.

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/all- … 5073.story

#2 Nov-14-2008 07:23:am

lenape

Re: Lenape language legacy

"I wasn't even sure where to put this article."

in the "humor" section, then again it could be considered "spam"!

#3 Nov-14-2008 08:02:am

lenape

New Course Spring 2009
Introduction to the Lenape Language
Lingistics 15
Instructor: Shelley DePaul
Tuesday & Thursday, 1:152:30p, Science Center 183

Course description:

Lenape is the language of the Native American people who lived in the Delaware Valley for thousands of years before the Europeans arrived.  The course includes conversation, grammar, and usage, as well as discussion of the conceptual elements inherent in this Algonquian language. Topics include the origin of place names in the Delaware Valley, some elements of Lenape culture, songs in the language, and discussion of the current status of Lenape as an endangered language.

This course is part of a language revitalization effort based in Lenape communities. Students will have the opportunity to participate in transcription, archiving, and other projects that contribute to that effort. No prerequisites. One semester, one credit course.

For more information about the course you can click here to email Ted Fernald, Chair of the Linguistics Department or you can call him at 610-328-8437.

Instructor Shelley DePaul researches and records Lenape bloodlines and genealogical data, with particular emphasis in the geographical area of Northeast Pennsylvania, and the documentation of marriages between Lenape Natives and German Immigrants. She has developed the Lenape Language Curriculum for use in schools,  universities and home school associations.  Shelley teaches Lenape Language classes and workshops and has presented lectures and educational programs on the subject of Lenape History and Culture to schools and universities, environmental organizations, churches, historical societies and youth groups. She was a public school teacher from 1979 until 1997.

http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/Lingui … enape.html

#4 Nov-14-2008 08:08:am

lenape

well folks, there it is.  In my opinion if this GARBAGE is taught this will be the worst disgrace of the Lenapei Language, of all the other "Language killers", Wondering (aimlessly) Wolf, Pritchard, "Tree Beard", this is the first to perpetuate the lie this far.

I want to also add that:

for those who chose to keep your mouth shut to fulfill your agenda, you have given birth to a monster!

Last edited by lenape (Nov-14-2008 11:12:am)

#5 Nov-14-2008 12:46:pm

sschkaak
Website

lenape wrote:

well folks, there it is.  In my opinion if this GARBAGE is taught this will be the worst disgrace of the Lenapei Language, of all the other "Language killers", Wondering (aimlessly) Wolf, Pritchard, "Tree Beard", this is the first to perpetuate the lie this far.

I want to also add that:

for those who chose to keep your mouth shut to fulfill your agenda, you have given birth to a monster!

Well...   This situation with the language kinda reminds me of that scene in "Dances with Wolves," where, after that pitched battle, Kevin Costner's character wants his army cap back from an Indian who's wearing it; and the Indian tells him he "left it on the field," so it was no longer his!  LOL!

#6 Nov-14-2008 12:50:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

lenape wrote:

I want to also add that:

Well...   This situation with the language kinda reminds me of that scene in "Dances with Wolves," where, after that pitched battle, Kevin Costner's character wants his army cap back from an Indian who's wearing it; and the Indian tells him he "left it on the field," so it was no longer his!  LOL!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking more of the scene where Costner interrupted the ceremony and tried to tell them he saw the buffalo and they beat the s@$t out of him!

Just thinking out loud....

#7 Nov-14-2008 01:22:pm

sschkaak
Website

You were thinking of the ideal situation, whereas, I was thinking of the actual.   smile

#8 Nov-14-2008 01:25:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

You were thinking of the ideal situation, whereas, I was thinking of the actual.   smile

lol

#9 Nov-14-2008 02:02:pm

Tokipahkinao

HE! Gang,

I have mentioned before  about the time Herb Kraft sent a list of NJ and PA  Lenape town/hills/ etc. names  to Nora Thompson Dean in OK to determine their correct meaning.
In quite a few cases, the words had become so garbled, she reported that she could NOT translate them. Mrs. Dean, of course was a very intelligent woman and a fluent Native speaker.

BTW, if you want to read the translations that she DID work out, you can find them on the back pages of 2 soft -cover books by Herb Kraft: "The Delaware Indians", and "The Indians of Lenapehoking" You may remember I mentioned them in an earlier post - about how  "Sauts" Bock had copied them and offered pages for $1.00 - without ever listing his source.

And Ms.DePaul is going to TEACH Lenape language!?!?!? 

MaryEllen

PS: John Kraft has reprinted  "Lenapehoking" , which has been out-of-print for some time! It's available on their site: Google: Lenape Lifeways" $10.00 each +postage. "The Delaware Indians"  (4th grade reading level) is also available.

MEBF

#10 Nov-16-2008 02:06:pm

NanticokePiney

lenape wrote:

Cowards! every one! Even a certain former chief who never responded after I chewed him out! yikes  I'm gonna handle this. Swarthmore is my territory. neutral

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Board footer