Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#76 Sep-07-2008 08:35:am

NanticokePiney
Member
From: Hopewell Twp., New Jersey
Registered: Jul-10-2007
Posts: 4214

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

http://www.bloomu.edu/today/

Published by Cambria Press, Invisible Indians is based on three years of research

WOW! Minderhout really broke his ass. 3 years. I wonder if he realizes Cara Blume have been at it for around 20..........

      neutral


I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Offline

 

#77 Sep-23-2008 06:57:pm

NanticokePiney
Member
From: Hopewell Twp., New Jersey
Registered: Jul-10-2007
Posts: 4214

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

NanticokePiney wrote:

http://www.bloomu.edu/today/

Published by Cambria Press, Invisible Indians is based on three years of research

WOW! Minderhout really broke his ass. 3 years. I wonder if he realizes Cara Blume have been at it for around 20..........

      neutral

I've been thinking about this. Minderhout spent 3 years talking to people. He did NOT do any geneological research. He did NOT do any archaeological research. He DIDN'T even check the facts of his informants, (church records, census, family bibles etc.)
  Ned Heite and crew did all this when researching the Nanticokes, Cheswold Lenape and Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape yet he dare compare these people and his sloppy research to us.
  Umlatchgo??? Gimme a break! How big of a fool are you David? or are you just a grant monies thief.............


I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Offline

 

#78 Sep-24-2008 10:25:pm

NanticokePiney
Member
From: Hopewell Twp., New Jersey
Registered: Jul-10-2007
Posts: 4214

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

Rate my professors .com

  http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat … tid=212006

tongue  seems like Minderhout's really easy...........


I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Offline

 

#79 Oct-01-2008 06:40:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11140

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

sschkaak wrote:

Today's Amazon sales rank:  #3,003,663.  Congratulations to the publisher on setting the price of this book so high that NOBODY will buy it!  I won't post on this, anymore, unless the price drops or the sales rank hits four million.   neutral

Today hmm

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,037,075

Offline

 

#80 Oct-01-2008 06:41:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11140

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

August 12th-

sschkaak wrote:

Today's Amazon sales rank:  #3,003,663.  Congratulations to the publisher on setting the price of this book so high that NOBODY will buy it!  I won't post on this, anymore, unless the price drops or the sales rank hits four million.   neutral

Today hmm

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,037,075

Offline

 

#81 Oct-01-2008 08:21:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4411

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

It was as low as just over 400,000, a few days ago.  Apparently, the increase in sales was a result of the press coverage of the U of Penn exhibit.

Offline

 

#82 Oct-01-2008 09:00:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11140

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

Price still hasn't lowered much even for used. I have a feeling there will be alot more used copies coming up though.

Offline

 

#83 Oct-01-2008 10:44:pm

NanticokePiney
Member
From: Hopewell Twp., New Jersey
Registered: Jul-10-2007
Posts: 4214

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

sschkaak wrote:

It was as low as just over 400,000, a few days ago.  Apparently, the increase in sales was a result of the press coverage of the U of Penn exhibit.

Then they'll start to read it and it will be right back on sale as used. hmm


I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Offline

 

#84 Jan-27-2009 09:38:pm

NanticokePiney
Member
From: Hopewell Twp., New Jersey
Registered: Jul-10-2007
Posts: 4214

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

Check out the required reading. I Guess fake Indians is required in ' Studies in American Culture' at VMI. neutral


  http://www.vmi.edu/show.aspx?tid=32513& … p;lmid=423


I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Offline

 

#85 Feb-01-2009 05:56:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

for anyone in the Pa area, on the PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network) tonight at 9:00pm Minderhout will be on discussing his merry band of burnt out boy scouts...hmm

Offline

 

#86 Feb-01-2009 07:17:pm

NanticokePiney
Member
From: Hopewell Twp., New Jersey
Registered: Jul-10-2007
Posts: 4214

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

lenape wrote:

for anyone in the Pa area, on the PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network) tonight at 9:00pm Minderhout will be on discussing his merry band of burnt out boy scouts...hmm

Tape that puppy. I want to see that trash. neutral


I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Offline

 

#87 Feb-01-2009 10:09:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4411

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

Well...  I just watched the whole interview on streaming video, at the PCN website.  Most of the hour was taken up with talking about historical matters that one can read in books for the general reader.  The most important thing I heard Minderhout say was that their informants usually claimed a great great grandmother or great great great grandmother who was Lenape (or Susquehannock); and, that they'd say to him and Frantz, "Here's the proof"--apparently, showing a family tree or something.  (He wasn't clear on what constituted that "proof.") 

I had to wince when he told Brian Lockman, the interviewer, that no grammars of Lenape exist; but, that the PA Lenape were writing their own! 

Another little fact he let out was that he works with the EDN.

Other than this there wasn't much about the "Invisible Indians."

Offline

 

#88 Feb-01-2009 10:14:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4411

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

Another thing I noted was that Minderhout said the Lenape name, "Minqua," means 'treacherous.'  Wonder if he got this from Sam Hannah, through one of his followers.  Or, did they both get it from another source?  In any case, it means 'foreskin' or 'glans penis,' depending on what dialect your using.

Last edited by sschkaak (Feb-01-2009 10:15:pm)

Offline

 

#89 Feb-01-2009 11:09:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11140

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

neutral sad

Offline

 

#90 Feb-02-2009 09:42:am

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

sschkaak wrote:

Another thing I noted was that Minderhout said the Lenape name, "Minqua," means 'treacherous.'  Wonder if he got this from Sam Hannah, through one of his followers.  Or, did they both get it from another source?  In any case, it means 'foreskin' or 'glans penis,' depending on what dialect your using.

I agree with the point, but why would this come from Sam Hannah?  Just curious....

here is another source for this information, I have ran across 5 or 6 over time all saying "about" the same thing:

http://www.hiddenhistory.com/page3/swsts/penn-1.HTM
"Minqua, from an Algonquian word meaning "stealthy," "treacherous.""

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/p … /index.htm

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h586.html

Offline

 

#91 Feb-02-2009 09:56:am

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

Sschkaak wrote:
"I had to wince when he told Brian Lockman, the interviewer, that no grammars of Lenape exist; but, that the PA Lenape were writing their own! "

LOL!!  That is scary, also that there is no one writing it out, researching...  There ARE folks doing this, I know because I have spoken to them and sent them recordings and the such.  I guess because the are not researching the "DePaul Dialect" it doesn't count...

Sschkaak, thought you would be interested in a email I got a few days ago:

"  ....we respect your research and understand your frustrations in the material that is being presented, however there has not been independent dialects of the Lenape Language for quite sometime.  There are efforts currently underway to merge the various dialects into one mutually understandable dialect....."

"  ....much of the grammatical rules you have outlined are no longer in use, among the speakers in the area they are not known and do not fit into the understanding of the Unami dialect as it is today...."

This was after a meeting in regards to some of the garbage being taught around here, thought this would make your morning, Piney, T-H this is the stupidity that I have delt with on this, now you see why there is nothing more that can be done by me.......

Offline

 

#92 Feb-02-2009 11:10:am

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11140

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

neutral  Just when I think things can't get stupider.

Offline

 

#93 Feb-02-2009 11:11:am

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

LOL!!  "stupider"?

Offline

 

#94 Feb-02-2009 11:14:am

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

but, yes I think this will come as a surprise to anyone who has done anything with the language, but maybe I am wrong and wasting my time, effort, and energy...  hmm

Offline

 

#95 Feb-02-2009 11:24:am

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11140

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

lenape wrote:

LOL!!  "stupider"?

Hey I can invent words too. I'm working on a whole new language, I'll have you know!

Look for it at College's and Universities soon. tongue

Offline

 

#96 Feb-02-2009 11:31:am

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4411

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

lenape wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

Another thing I noted was that Minderhout said the Lenape name, "Minqua," means 'treacherous.'  Wonder if he got this from Sam Hannah, through one of his followers.  Or, did they both get it from another source?  In any case, it means 'foreskin' or 'glans penis,' depending on what dialect your using.

I agree with the point, but why would this come from Sam Hannah?  Just curious....

here is another source for this information, I have ran across 5 or 6 over time all saying "about" the same thing:

http://www.hiddenhistory.com/page3/swsts/penn-1.HTM
"Minqua, from an Algonquian word meaning "stealthy," "treacherous.""

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/p … /index.htm

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h586.html

"My ancestors belonged to the great Iroquois Nation, or Five Nations, (later called the Six Nations of the Iroquois).  Some time before 1750, a group of Cayuga, some Seneca, Mohawk and others, broke away from their tribes in New York State and migrated into Pennsylvania, thence into Ohio.  Here they were called 'Mingwe" or 'Mingo,' which in Algonquin means 'treacherous.'"  -Sam Gray Wolf  [The Spirit of Geronimo Returns, by Zula C. Brinkerhoff, page 177.]

Offline

 

#97 Feb-02-2009 11:34:am

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

sschkaak wrote:

lenape wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

Another thing I noted was that Minderhout said the Lenape name, "Minqua," means 'treacherous.'  Wonder if he got this from Sam Hannah, through one of his followers.  Or, did they both get it from another source?  In any case, it means 'foreskin' or 'glans penis,' depending on what dialect your using.

I agree with the point, but why would this come from Sam Hannah?  Just curious....

here is another source for this information, I have ran across 5 or 6 over time all saying "about" the same thing:

http://www.hiddenhistory.com/page3/swsts/penn-1.HTM
"Minqua, from an Algonquian word meaning "stealthy," "treacherous.""

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/p … /index.htm

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h586.html

"My ancestors belonged to the great Iroquois Nation, or Five Nations, (later called the Six Nations of the Iroquois).  Some time before 1750, a group of Cayuga, some Seneca, Mohawk and others, broke away from their tribes in New York State and migrated into Pennsylvania, thence into Ohio.  Here they were called 'Mingwe" or 'Mingo,' which in Algonquin means 'treacherous.'"  -Sam Gray Wolf  [The Spirit of Geronimo Returns, by Zula C. Brinkerhoff, page 177.]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks Sschkaak, if I remember right *I* posted that!!!!  (going for more coffee......)

Offline

 

#98 Feb-02-2009 11:39:am

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4411

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

lenape wrote:

Sschkaak wrote:
"I had to wince when he told Brian Lockman, the interviewer, that no grammars of Lenape exist; but, that the PA Lenape were writing their own! "

LOL!!  That is scary, also that there is no one writing it out, researching...  There ARE folks doing this, I know because I have spoken to them and sent them recordings and the such.  I guess because the are not researching the "DePaul Dialect" it doesn't count...

Sschkaak, thought you would be interested in a email I got a few days ago:

"  ....we respect your research and understand your frustrations in the material that is being presented, however there has not been independent dialects of the Lenape Language for quite sometime.  There are efforts currently underway to merge the various dialects into one mutually understandable dialect....."

"  ....much of the grammatical rules you have outlined are no longer in use, among the speakers in the area they are not known and do not fit into the understanding of the Unami dialect as it is today...."

This was after a meeting in regards to some of the garbage being taught around here, thought this would make your morning, Piney, T-H this is the stupidity that I have delt with on this, now you see why there is nothing more that can be done by me.......

I don't know what to say.  I've heard about this "merging," too.  If the grammatical rules no longer apply, then I don't know what rules do.  They must be making up some kind of pidgin or jargon.

Offline

 

#99 Feb-02-2009 11:56:am

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

That is sad, as if this is the case the "jargon", with out the grammar, would at best be "baby talk", I would hope that this is only a "Pa thing"?.....

Offline

 

#100 Feb-02-2009 12:42:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

On another note, I found what he said about the Sundance "interesting"!!!  That "most" indians in Pa are involved, and that the Sundance "originated" with the "Comanche" People, I would venture to guess that those who are "involved" in the Sundance are the EDN folks that pay for Crow Dogs "blessings", which his are done Lakota *like*....  I would not know where else these folks would be welcome at a Sundance, even the one in NY and MD has higher standards than that!!!!!!!!!!!  While I know very little about the Comanche folks, I disagree with the origin of the Sundance, having been a singer for quite some time and all.....  However this is a "step up" from the "Lenape Sundance" that was going on a while back yikes

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson