neutral

#2 May-29-2008 10:48:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: "Invisible Indians" of PA

http://www.mazeguy.net/angry/banghead.gif

The book is also about the
ways Pennsylvania’s Native Americans are reinventing their history and their
cultures to meet their own social and psychological (identity) needs.

#3 May-29-2008 07:07:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I have an urge to string up Minderhout. Seriously, this man makes my little brain cells hurt.  neutral

#4 May-29-2008 08:23:pm

sschkaak

Well...  I'd like to peruse this volume, but $104?  lol neutral

Here's their website:

http://www.panativeamericans.org

#5 May-29-2008 09:01:pm

lenape

guess the $104 is the new scam, the farm didn't work so now they have written a Book of Lies!  Most of the people listed on their "resources" section are flakes, Leslie is now "Indian", she was white when I met her, acknowledged so, "Wak'Teme" was white when he worked for the PA DOC, his application says so, the other characters of LNP have been discussed already.  Bart is the only one listed on there that I know to be Lenape.....madmadmadmadmadmad

#6 May-30-2008 08:42:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

Well...  I'd like to peruse this volume, but $104?  lol neutral

Here's their website:

http://www.panativeamericans.org

Did you guys look at the gallery on that site? neutral

#7 May-30-2008 10:14:am

sschkaak

E-e.

#8 May-30-2008 12:45:pm

bls926
Administrator

tree hugger wrote:

The book is also about the
ways Pennsylvania’s Native Americans are reinventing their history and their cultures to meet their own social and psychological (identity) needs.

My feelings exactly! When I read that part about "reinventing their history and their culture", I thought WTH? And that's a good thing? What is wrong with Minderhout?

That website of his is something else.

This site is designed to provide accurate, up-to-date information about the Native Americans of Pennsylvania for K-12 teachers, students and other interested persons. The desire to create this website stemmed from research carried out by David Minderhout and Andrea Frantz that showed a lack of educational lessons and resources on PA Native Americans. View their recent published book!

Accurate?? Yeah, right. Guess since there weren't many lessons or resources, Minderhout thought he could just make them up. "Reinvent" history, so to speak.

And academia accepts this garbage as credible??

Shameless plug for his book, priced at only $104.

On the Resources for Educators page, he does include the link for Lenape Lifeways - Educational Programs and other legitimate sources. Of course, there are several not so legit listed as well.

The English to Lenape Dictionary . . . Shelley DePaul 

Shaking my head . . .

#9 May-30-2008 01:47:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

E-e.

Huh? tongue

#10 May-30-2008 02:48:pm

sschkaak

tree hugger wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

E-e.

Huh? tongue

E-e = Uh-huh.  (i.e., "yes").  It's in the Lexicon!  Pronounce it "eh-eh".  big_smile

Last edited by sschkaak (May-30-2008 02:49:pm)

#11 May-30-2008 03:01:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

tree hugger wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

E-e.

Huh? tongue

E-e = Uh-huh.  (i.e., "yes").  It's in the Lexicon!  Pronounce it "eh-eh".  big_smile

My bad! Page 28.

sad

#12 May-30-2008 09:52:pm

oldsalty

Maybe these people should have a re-enactment with one of the other reinactment groups like Butlers Rangers!! Live ammunition of course!
Old Salty

#13 May-30-2008 10:05:pm

Gibbs

If you don't mind becoming ill once again..go back and take a really good look at the pictures..how many things can you find wrong with
the 'sacred drum' pic and the one of Brad? NO CHEATING!!! Treehugger and I are exempt from playing:lol: and maybe sschkaak should
be too;) All I'm going to say is that I became sick to my stomach at what I saw. BTW..I don't care Brad IS Lenape..he should know better sad

#14 May-30-2008 10:21:pm

lenape

Gibbs wrote:

If you don't mind becoming ill once again..go back and take a really good look at the pictures..how many things can you find wrong with
the 'sacred drum' pic and the one of Brad? NO CHEATING!!! Treehugger and I are exempt from playing:lol: and maybe sschkaak should
be too;) All I'm going to say is that I became sick to my stomach at what I saw. BTW..I don't care Brad IS Lenape..he should know better sad

Other than the fact that there is nothing "Lenape" about it????
  That picture of the drum was taken at Mike Katuho house in the unami valley, there were a mishmash of folks there, some from Canada, some from Oklahoma, and some from Kansas, at this time Bob Ruth was still a hobbiest, traveling around with his "Sacred Drum"roll

#15 May-31-2008 12:39:am

oldsalty

I am no expert on Lenape clothing and culture but I would feel extremely ripped off if I travelled to see an event depicted in this fashion. From what I can see some of these people are frauds and making money from selling art represented as NA Art.
Old Salty

#16 May-31-2008 01:45:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

mark wrote:

One question:  Why is Dennis Wagner running around in Seneca Regalia if he is Lenape?

It was on sale? roll

I think it might be better if we played "What's right with this picture" Ok game over.

#17 May-31-2008 02:16:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Oh really, I don't know him personally (thank goodness). So he picks what he is depending on who he's talking to?  JMO but this is crazy! I can not believe this is an educational institution, what next, this will be in grade school curriculum. Blech!

I should move out of Pa. neutral

#18 Jun-13-2008 07:43:pm

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

I'm bleeding from the ears and eyes!!! I remember when Bob Ruth was "made".

The whole thing is "mwe"

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#19 Jun-27-2008 10:55:pm

sschkaak

I've been following the sales rank of this book at Amazon.   A couple weeks ago, after it first became available, it was ranked about 585,000.  Last week it was at 758,000.  Today, it's at 1,230,000.  It shouldn't be long before the price drops.  Nobody's buying it.  (Accidental double-entendre, there.)

#20 Jun-28-2008 12:40:am

stompdancer
Visitor

Minderhout and Franz are just reaping benifits from lying just like the University of Pennsylvania. Reinventing American Indian Tribes is against federal law. Putting it into written word wasn't very smart. The problem with the northeast is that the government hadn't really had serious complaints until resently. Dressing up for Halloween isn't a big deal. Taking money for fake programs, arts, crafts, books and raiding graves for profit is another point. Doing press interviews and making claims of being American Indians is now more serious than in the past. These frauds are unaware of new very strict laws. No one complained to the right places, but that has now changed. The northeast is no longer a safe haven for phony wannabe's. Watch and see how all this plays out. All supporters of these wannabe's will be facing some serious fines and possible prison time.
Minderhout told me in a room full of people just last year that he knew they weren't Indians. He had gotten a grant and was using those monies to write this lousy piece of trash. He is as far as I'm concerned a piece of shit on a slide board headed for HELL. He thinks he's important, but he is hardly more than an ego based professor from a no nothing university. Perhaps he and Preucel can get together and write a new book. How We Screwed Up Everything We Came Into Contact With! I didn't know Cracker Jacks gave away credentails , but they must have. How else would they explain having any?

Last edited by stompdancer (Jun-28-2008 12:43:am)

#21 Jun-28-2008 06:32:pm

NanticokePiney

sschkaak wrote:

I've been following the sales rank of this book at Amazon.   A couple weeks ago, after it first became available, it was ranked about 585,000.  Last week it was at 758,000.  Today, it's at 1,230,000.  It shouldn't be long before the price drops.  Nobody's buying it.  (Accidental double-entendre, there.)

You mean....yikes It isn't close to the NYT bestsellers list??????

I'd take it if someone gave it to me. Then I'd go nuts with a highlight marker and mail it straight to you................

#22 Jun-28-2008 07:35:pm

sschkaak

lol  I'll buy a copy for review, as soon as the price drops.  $104!  They gotta be kidding.  I'm not THAT curious.

#23 Jun-28-2008 08:10:pm

dennison

sschkaak:

Will this be your next addition to the bookend or fly swatter collection. big_smile  I wonder if it does that bad can you claim it as business expense for tax write off. LOL

Al

#24 Jun-28-2008 08:58:pm

NanticokePiney

sschkaak wrote:

lol  I'll buy a copy for review, as soon as the price drops.  $104!  They gotta be kidding.  I'm not THAT curious.

I MUST read that review. Your soooo gentle and tactful with words........big_smile

#25 Jul-04-2008 07:04:pm

sschkaak

Current Amazon sales ranking:  #1,505,259.   Sales are hot as an iceberg.

Board footer