• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride®

#1 Nov-28-2006 10:32:am

bls926
Administrator

Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride®

Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride®

In the early 1990's, Jerry Davis, of Scottsboro, Alabama, was researching Native American history surrounding his area.  He learned that the Trail of Tears removal had used a route passing along present-day  Hwy. 72.  He began talking with longtime friend, Bill Cason, of  Whitwell, Tennessee about what they could do to bring public awareness to this event.  Jerry felt that this route should be officially recognized and marked. Conversation after conversation took place.  One day Bill Cason, a Harley-rider, suggested that the best way to he knew to get people's attention was to have a bike ride.

Thus began plans for the 1st Annual Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride®.  On October 8, 1994, eight motorcycles began the ride at Ross's Landing.  By ride's end the number had increased to approximately 100. By 2001, the 8th Annual Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride® began with 40,000 motorcycles and ended with a reported 90,000 motorcycles pulling into Waterloo at ride’s end – making this event the largest organized motorcycle ride in history.

So come on in and have a look around and discover for yourself why 90,000 bikers agree:
It's more than just a ride, it's an experience...

http://www.al-tn-trailoftears.org/index.htm

#2 Nov-28-2006 01:52:pm

vanillaindian

Re: Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride®

Thanks for that bls. My son goes to this every year for the last 5 years. In 2004, he went alone. That was when the hurricanes were just awful and Jeanne had traveled up through FL and the eastern states and had turned around and started back. It's about a day and a half from here (NY) to Chattanooga where the TOT begins. He stopped in Wytheville, Va. the first night. The next day, he went through several hours of DRIVING rain, which is pretty scary on a Harley. He said it feels like someone's hitting you in the face with a whip. This was him someplace between TN and AL carrying the Seneca Nation flag.
I also went to FL that year to my daughters and no power for 3-4 days. We sure did talk a lot, which is good.
Forgot to mention, my daughter-in-law was LIVID that my son would go in the weather, LOL!
/pb.php?url=http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/tylerstwit/TOTrun.jpg

#3 Nov-28-2006 02:34:pm

bls926
Administrator

Re: Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride®

Thanks for posting the picture of your son. That is such a cool picture! The mountains are beautiful. You can see all the bikes in the distance. It's awesome! Thanks again, Nilla, for posting this.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Trail of Tears Commemorative Motorcycle Ride®

Board footer