Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 May-22-2017 10:01:am

Kavik
Visitor

"Wise Trader"

Hello,

I was asked how one would say the 'name' "Wise Trader" in NU.

I am only able to find one word; memhallamund, which is really merchant - the word is also the same (excepting spelling) in SU, however, SU seems to have the word 'èhashëntèsit' which is translated as 'trader', 'one who trades', but NU does not seem to have an equivalent - or does it and I'm totally off on spelling (I was thinking it would begin with 'e' or maybe 'a').

As far as 'wise' - I'm using lippoe, so would just put the two together as two separate words: lippoe memhallamund - is there a way to attach the adjective to the noun in this case, or do you have to keep them as two separate words?? I'm thinking two seprate words with the literal meaning "s/he is wise, (the) merchant".

Thanks!

#2 May-22-2017 01:02:pm

sschkaak

Re: "Wise Trader"

Memhallamund is alright.  It's probably best for someone running a trading post.  A trader who goes around, from place to place, selling stuff, might better be called pepamchit.  This word was recorded by the Moravian missionary, Grube, in one of his works.  Both words are noun-like participles, so I would use either the prenoun/preverb, luppoewi ("wise" or "wisely") or the participle, leppowat ("one who is wise") in front of pepamchit, as the descriptor, and just the participle in front of memhallamund.  These are all NU words, of course.  I'm not familiar with that SU word for 'trader.'  It looks something like "one who habitually makes exchanges."

#3 May-22-2017 04:49:pm

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks, the concept of one who runs a trading post is actually perfect in this case.

So in this case, looks like Leppowat Memhallamund is the best way to render this. 

If lepppowat were written using SU orthography - any idea how it might be written - trying to determine where the stress falls on this word - is it    l'p-OH-wawt (so maybe something like lëpowat)?

Thanks!

#4 May-22-2017 07:00:pm

sschkaak

Kavik wrote:

Thanks, the concept of one who runs a trading post is actually perfect in this case.

Good.

So in this case, looks like Leppowat Memhallamund is the best way to render this.

Yes.

If lepppowat were written using SU orthography - any idea how it might be written -

lëpwit (SU uses a different verb stem, as you see by this.  I don't know why it doesn't use initial change in SU, but people didn't always pronounce words the way scientific linguists would prefer.)

trying to determine where the stress falls on this word - is it    l'p-OH-wawt (so maybe something like lëpowat)?

Stress falls on the first syllable.  This is actually a two-syllable word.  The -oa- = -wa-.  This is one of the vagaries of the Moravian spelling system.  So:  lèpwat, using the SU orthography.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

#5 May-23-2017 08:09:am

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks for the info on stress - I hadn't realized that it was '-oa-' (realized as -wa-).

OK - so, if I wanted to say it in SU, it would be something like lëpwit mèmhalamùnd and in NU (but using SU orthography) lèpwat mèmhalamùnd (or in NU orthography leppowat memhallmund) - does that sound about right?

Again, thanks very much for your help.

#6 May-23-2017 09:21:am

sschkaak

You have it all right.  I would just tweek it a bit, by writing leppoat, instead of leppowat.  It simply shows two syllables (rather than three) better.  Those who heard this word as leppowat must have taken that -o- to be a schwa.  (As previously explained, not all speakers spoke exactly alike.)  Also, standard SU orthography spells the word for 'trader' with an -nt ending--although, it is pronounced as -nd, just as in NU.

#7 May-23-2017 03:10:pm

Kavik
Visitor

The tweaked spelling (NU) makes a bit more sense - again, thanks very much!

Board footer