Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Oct-17-2016 09:10:am

Kavik
Visitor

Adjective with Proper Noun Help

Hello,

Hoping to get  a little help with using an adjective to modify a proper noun.

In this case here the adjective is "loud" as in "one who speaks/talks loud(ly)"

I see where amangiechsin (SU amankixsu) means to speak loud or talk loud.

If I wanted to use this to modify a noun, say 'teacher' (NU achgeketum - not sure what this would be in SU; wehwatewet maybe)

So perhaps NU amangiechsit achgeketum?

Kind of an odd construction; I think above, I'm saying literally, "s/he speaks loud, the teacher". I basically want to say "loud teacher" in the sense of said teacher speaks loudly. Whatever the noun is (whether teacher, banker, doctor, whatever), I would assume the adjective construction would not change, correct?

Thanks very much!

#2 Oct-17-2016 12:17:pm

sschkaak

Re: Adjective with Proper Noun Help

NU - memangiechsit achgekutum = "a teacher who speaks loudly."  Words beginning with amang- show initial reduplication on the root, mang- ("great" or "big"), which was, originally, mamang-.  This is restored when making Munsee or Northern Unami participles and the first short -a- undergoes initial change to long -e-, as per the general rule.  In Southern Unami, that first short -a- has become a long a, so the participle doesn't need to undergo initial change, nor is the original reduplication used; so, the participle in SU is amankixsit. 

Yes.  The same participle can be used as a descriptor ("adjective," if you will) for any of the animate nouns you mention.

Also, please note this edit:  That NU word for teacher is achgekutum--not achgeketum.

#3 Oct-17-2016 03:18:pm

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks very much!

Was not at all aware of the initial reduplication in this one.

Not sure if my spelling of 'teacher' was a typo or if I saw it that way in "Brinton's" dictionary.

#4 Oct-17-2016 04:39:pm

sschkaak

You're welcome.  What you did was copy Brinton's mis-transcription of Ettwein's word.  You couldn't have known this.

Board footer