Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 May-19-2015 08:44:am

Kavik
Visitor

Help with Adjective "educated'

Hello All,

I am trying to ascertain the correct form (NU and SU) of the adjective “educated”, as in “educated guide, educated teacher”, etc.

I see where wëlishkulu (SU) is glossed as he is educated’, and it seems to come from ‘wëli’ and ‘shkulu’, the later I suspect a loan (shkul – school) with ‘shkulu’ being “he goes to school”.

So, I’m a bit stumped since this seems to be a relatively newer word (not really sure how borrowed words work in Lenape).

Would I have to use a prefixed adjective, i.e. the adjective would in a sense get tacked onto the noun, or would it be a standalone form I would need to use?

Would it be the same form in NU as in SU (with the obvious spelling differences)?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

#2 May-19-2015 09:49:am

sschkaak

Re: Help with Adjective "educated'

Kavik wrote:

Hello All,

Hello.

I am trying to ascertain the correct form (NU and SU) of the adjective “educated”, as in “educated guide, educated teacher”, etc.

Okay.

I see where wëlishkulu (SU) is glossed as he is educated’, and it seems to come from ‘wëli’ and ‘shkulu’, the later I suspect a loan (shkul – school) with ‘shkulu’ being “he goes to school”.

Correct.  (Simply to be clear, note that it is borrowed from the Dutch word, "school"--not from English.)

So, I’m a bit stumped since this seems to be a relatively newer word (not really sure how borrowed words work in Lenape).

"New" is, of course, a relative term.  It occurs in NU, with the s- unpalatalized, as "skulin," as early as the mid 1700's.  Once borrowed, almost all loanwords take on the morphology (structure) of Lenape parts-of-speech.

Would I have to use a prefixed adjective, i.e. the adjective would in a sense get tacked onto the noun, or would it be a standalone form I would need to use?

It would be "welishkulit" ('one who is educated').

Would it be the same form in NU as in SU (with the obvious spelling differences)?

Theoretically, it could be.  NU has all the same semantic elements; however, I've never seen this word used in NU.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

You're welcome.

#3 May-19-2015 10:01:am

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks very much - but how would it be used in conjunction with a noun, e.g. if I wanted to say "educated doctor", or "educated guide (kikinhet)", "educated X (where x = animate singular noun).

So, if I'm reading your post correctly, would the form then be "wëlishkulit X"??

Thanks!

#4 May-19-2015 10:09:am

sschkaak

Kavik wrote:

So, if I'm reading your post correctly, would the form then be "wëlishkulit X"??

Yes.  Both participles and prenouns are used as descriptors in Lenape.  This, of course, is a participle.

#5 May-19-2015 10:14:am

Kavik
Visitor

Ah, okay - I see.

Thanks very much!

#6 May-19-2015 10:16:am

sschkaak

sschkaak wrote:

Kavik wrote:

Yes.  Both participles and prenouns are used as descriptors in Lenape.  This, of course, is a participle.

Damn it!  I should have said "No."  I didn't notice that you didn't copy my word, but wrote "wëli-."  It should be "weli."  The short vowel, ë, must undergo initial change to the long vowel, e, in order to form a participle.

#7 May-19-2015 04:18:pm

Kavik
Visitor

LOL - no worries.

So there are instances where the reduced vowel (ë) will revert back to its full value. Will this always be 'e', or will it occasionally be something else (I'm thinking maybe 'o' or 'u' - but I'm also thinking more of that Abenaki does in some cases).

#8 May-19-2015 07:30:pm

sschkaak

Initial change, in Lenape, only occurs when the first vowel in a word is short.  The change is always to long e.

Board footer