Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Nov-23-2014 07:41:pm

sschkaak

BEYOND MANHATTAN

Free downloadable e-book just published by The New York State Museum, Albany, NY:

BEYOND MANHATTAN:  A GAZETTEER OF DELAWARE INDIAN HISTORY REFLECTED IN MODERN-DAY PLACE NAMES

by Robert S. Grumet

Munsee and Northern Unami Interpretations by Ray Whritenour

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/publications/record/

#2 Nov-23-2014 08:07:pm

Suckachsinheet

Re: BEYOND MANHATTAN

Very nice. Looks like a fine reference.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#3 Nov-25-2014 11:51:am

sschkaak

Thanks.  I see one mistake, so far, though.  The very first entry is Amawalk, in New York state.  It states:

AMAWALK (Westchester County). Whritenour thinks that Appamankaogh, an early spelling of Amawalk, sounds very much like the Munsee words *apaamaapoxkw, “rock here and there,” and *ahpeemaapoxkw, “upon the overlying rock.”

This could leave people scratching their heads, since my conjectural interpretations really don't match the early spelling given.  But, this is because I didn't write this!  The draft of the book I approved read as follows:

Ruttenber (1906a:34) traced Amawalk’s origin to the even earlier place name Appamaghpogh [*apaamaapoxkw – “rock here and there” / *ahpeemaapoxkw – “upon the overlying rock”] noted in the August 24, 1683, deed to land in present-day Somers in Robert Bolton’s (1881[1]:86-87) history.

Quite a difference!  I wasn't shown the final draft, so this wasn't caught.  In any case, I've done a quick scan of the book and haven't found any other errors like this, yet.  Of course, it had to happen on the first entry!  neutral

#4 Nov-25-2014 01:14:pm

NanticokePiney

With all the outright errors in Lenape that are still being taught as fact you have a right to some mistakes. At least when your wrong it's not intentional or "ad-libbed" as some other "experts" are doing

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#5 Nov-25-2014 01:34:pm

sschkaak

I have no idea where Grumet got the variant, Appamankaogh.  He says he can correct this in the next edition--maybe, next year.  These e-books are easy to revise.

Last edited by sschkaak (Nov-25-2014 01:34:pm)

Board footer