Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jun-03-2014 12:08:pm

Ohelemapit
Website

Native Americans Have Superfoods Right Under Their Feet

On American Indian reservations, the traditional diet of wild plants and game for food is increasingly being replaced with a far less healthful diet of predominantly high-carb, high-sugar foods.

Along the way, obesity and type 2 diabetes rates have soared. At nearly 16 percent, American Indians and Alaska Natives have the highest prevalence of diabetes among all U.S. racial and ethnic groups, according to the American Diabetes Association.

While researchers have long suspected that the traditional plant foods consumed by Native American tribes in the Northern Plains were super nutritious, no one had ever really studied it.

That's what inspired a paper published earlier this year in the Journal of Food Composition and Analysis by a group of researchers at Virginia Tech and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. They analyzed the nutrients in 10 traditional wild food plants from three Native American reservations in North

Dakota.

They found that reintroducing these plants which include cattail broad leaf shoots, chokecherries, beaked hazelnuts, lamb's-quarters, plains prickly
pear, prairie turnips, stinging nettles, wild plums, raspberries and rose hips into the diet of the tribes of the region could improve nutrition and potentially prevent disease.

Read more: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/0 … their-feet

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Native American.

/pb.php?url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/XSAS44/xsassig.gif

#2 Jun-30-2014 09:23:pm

NanticokePiney

Re: Native Americans Have Superfoods Right Under Their Feet

That is why I keep my meat and veggie diet.   big_smile and grow local edible plants in my yard

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Board footer