You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Jan-13-2014 09:20:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: El Bey Bagby/William McRae posing as Powhatan Renape-NJ

2012- I think we can add stalking to the Emperors' resume

http://www.trentonian.com/article/TT/20 … /306169984

http://www.trentonian.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/TT/20090616/NEWS/306169984/EP/1/1/EP-306169984.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Emperor El Bey, who considers his half of an Ellis Avenue duplex as an embassy for the sovereign Abannaki Aboriginal Nation, yesterday -- in fairytale style -- arrived on horseback and professed his affection for the city's library director, Kimberly Matthews. He is seen here with horses Princess (left) and Pop. (Trentonian File Photo/JACKIE SCHEAR)

By L.A. PARKER
Staff Writer
POSTED: 03/12/12, 7:17 PM EDT |

TRENTON -- The city's top librarian yesterday brushed aside advances from a self-proclaimed emperor who showed up on horseback at her Academy Street workplace, hoping to ride her away to a new life.

Sources close to the 10 a.m. incident said that Emperor El Bey, an Ellis Avenue resident, delivered amorous material worthy of a romance novel, but Trenton Free Public Library Executive Director Kimberly Matthews declined his offer and had security call for police assistance.

"We asked him to remove his horses from the property. When he did not comply with those wishes, the police were called. I appreciated their timely response," said Matthews.

El Bey, according to sources, had waited approximately 90 minutes for Matthews to arrive before making a move toward her when she pulled her Corvette into a library parking lot.

El Bey had tethered two horses to a nearby tree while waiting for the dark-haired Matthews.

Emperor El Bey admitted he had told Matthews that she was beautiful and that he owned a Porsche.

"I even asked her if she would like to get together some time and burn rubber, you know, race our cars. But I never asked her to be queen of our kingdom. If I wanted her to be our queen, I would have gotten down on one knee and proposed that," El Bey said.

"(Matthews) is apparently just trying to get famous off my name. A lot of people try to get famous off of me."

Davon Feliciano, a security guard for John T. Coy Security Inc., said he watched on a security camera as Emperor El Bey approached Matthews as she parked her car in a corner spot.

"(The Emperor) said that Ms. Matthews was beautiful and that he and three other men had come here to take her away to their kingdom. He wanted her to ride away with him on the spot. It was very strange," said Feliciano.

Feliciano said that El Bey and friends are "regular" visitors to the Academy Street library.

"They wear those (maroon) hats with the tassels," Feliciano said, describing fez-type head gear worn by El Bey and associates.

"The emperor once commented about the U.S. flag I wear on my uniform. He said that it's not the real flag of this country."

Bey's headwear is without a tassle.

Emperor El Bey acknowledged his frequent visits to the Academy Street library.

"I'm there a lot, probably more than anybody. Did I tell the security guard about his uniform flag? Yes. That flag is the symbol of a corporation. The U.S. is a corporation," Bey said.

A library employee with information about the incident said that El Bey yesterday repeatedly told Matthews about her beauty.

"He wanted her to come back to his 'kingdom' and rule with him," the source said.

Authorities know Emperor El Bey as William M. Mcrae, who considers his half of an Ellis Avenue duplex as an embassy for the sovereign Abannaki Aboriginal Nation and thereby immune from Trenton ordinances.

According to a former Trentonian report, Abannaki members say they were American Indians who were actually Moors and members of the Lost Tribe of Israel.

El Bey has been arrested for outstanding warrants in the city and Bordentown while other reports show that complaints have been filed against him for failure to pay $57,000 in child support to three different mothers.

Dennis McManimon, chief warrant officer for Mercer Sheriff Kevin Larkin, in a previously printed Trentonian article, said that Emperor El Bey has been researched extensively.

"These guys are not part of a sovereign nation, and they don't have diplomatic immunity," McManimon said.

But Emperor El Bey did nothing that warranted arrest during his interaction with Matthews.

"The police spoke to them, and then they got on their horses and rode down Academy Street," Feliciano said.

Trenton police spokesperson Sgt. Pedro Medina confirmed that police talked to El Bey and then "sent him on his way."

A brown horse, Princess, and an Appaloosa named Pop were tied up in the Emperor's backyard late afternoon when The Trentonian finally reached El Bey after four visits to his Ellis Avenue home.

#27 Jan-14-2014 11:39:am

narkj
Visitor

I'm a reporter at the Philadelphia Daily News. I wrote about the Rankokus reservation a few years ago and just heard about this. Can someone contact me at narkj@phillynews.com. Thanks.

#28 Jan-14-2014 11:42:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Hi there and welcome. If you'd like to email me at woodlandindians@gmail.com, I'd be happy to direct you to who or what you need.

ETA- I've sent you an email.

#29 Jan-14-2014 06:35:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

ramapoughnative wrote:

This man is clearly delusional.  There is only one way to solve this issue and that is to get the NJ Commission functioning properly. We need to show the state what a threat this will be if they don't do the right thing.

Someone may want to ask Joanne Hawkins directly why the commission is not moving on this. I thought it strange how when all evidence was supplied to stop this guy the Powhatan Renape went quiet. I'd also like to know why the Emperor was on the answering machine to the number that goes directly to the Powhatan Renape Nation. I am sure that this has been changed as soon as it was pointed out to them today though.

#30 Jan-14-2014 06:46:pm

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

ramapoughnative wrote:

This man is clearly delusional.  There is only one way to solve this issue and that is to get the NJ Commission functioning properly. We need to show the state what a threat this will be if they don't do the right thing.

Someone may want to ask Joanne Hawkins directly why the commission is not moving on this. I thought it strange how when all evidence was supplied to stop this guy the Powhatan Renape went quiet. I'd also like to know why the Emperor was on the answering machine to the number that goes directly to the Powhatan Renape Nation. I am sure that this has been changed as soon as it was pointed out to them today though.

Not when I called. That fez wearing racist asshole was still there. Don't ever mention the commission on this forum again. That group of powerless douches set up as a "feel good façade" for the resident skins is a waste of taxpayer money.....

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#31 Jan-14-2014 06:48:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I'll mention it as much as it has to be mentioned, until something changes. This right here is a prime example of why things need to change and like NOW.

#32 Jan-14-2014 07:01:pm

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

I'll mention it as much as it has to be mentioned, until something changes. This right here is a prime example of why things need to change and like NOW.

I wasn't addressing you. Any negative info about the commission can be posted as many times as you like. tongue

#33 Jan-14-2014 08:07:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Ha, like I need permission. wink

Well I guess what we can all gather from this is not only are the Powhatan Renape putting up with this behavior that we see on this thread, but they are embracing it as well.. along with the NJ Indian commission. This is very disheartening. neutral

#34 Jan-15-2014 07:41:am

sschkaak
Website

Whatever anyone may think of the Commission, the very fact of its existence is tacit State recognition, by statute, of those New Jersey Indian tribes which sit on it.

#35 Jan-15-2014 07:47:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

You are right.

#36 Feb-07-2014 12:10:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Comment section at: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_j … rming.html

JASON NARK, DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER NARKJ@PHILLYNEWS.COM, 215-854-5916
POSTED: Friday, February 7, 2014, 3:01 AM

THE BUFFALO are gone, the beating drums replaced by tree branches colliding in the winter wind, and on a frigid afternoon last month a wide, metal gate blocked the entrance to what was once South Jersey's only Native-American reservation.

Beyond the gate, down a snow-covered road, the Powhatan Renape Nation's museum sat empty, its artifacts in storage. Deeper in the forest, two-pronged deer tracks led to the late Chief Roy Crazy Horse's rancher, built illegally atop a bluff overlooking Rancocas Creek, birds now fluttering in and out of its chimney and broken windows.

"There are no more Indians here," said a woman walking two small dogs on the land the tribe leased for 25 years in Westampton Township, Burlington County. "All their stuff is gone."

In fact, more than deer and dogs are afoot among the Powhatan Renape these days. A self-proclaimed leader with an impossibly long name and a confusing past says he's taking the reins and reclaiming the reservation, whether council members like it or not.

"I am the heir to the Powhatan Empire," said Crown Prince Emperor El Bey Bigbay. "I don't deal with the council. The council is null and void."

The Crown Prince - as he wishes to be called - is Trenton native William McRea, 40, known in the capital for the horses he keeps on his half of a duplex.

According to news accounts, McRae has been charged with using fake diplomatic tags, driving without a license and failure to pay child support. He has claimed that U.S. laws don't apply to him because he's a member of the Abannaki Aboriginal Nation, which the Southern Poverty Law Center considers a "fringe black separatist group."

The Powhatan Renape Nation, on the other hand, is recognized by the New Jersey Commission on Native American Affairs, and in better days it hosted thousands of people from all over the country at an annual arts festival on what used to be called the Rankokus Indian Reservation.

The tribe has struggled in recent years due to financial mismanagement and organizational issues, losing the 237-acre parcel it leased from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.

'You can't just pop up'

The council is still active, and its members are aware of the Crown Prince. They just don't know what to do about him.

"We don't know where he came from. We don't know anything about him," said Obie Batchelor, a Powhatan Renape member from Pennsauken, Camden County. "He just popped up out of the woodwork. You can't just pop up and claim yourself chief."

But the Crown Prince can't simply be written off as eccentric or prone to gibberish: He has managed to get control of the Powhatan Renape Nation's phone number and he's accepted artifacts on behalf of the tribe, posing for pictures with elderly women in a large headdress that no Powhatan ever wore.

On Twitter, he's been urging hip-hop star Kanye West to take his place among the tribe.

"I had to get him kicked off the website, but he paid the phone bill and claimed the phone number," Batchelor said.

The Crown Prince also made an inquiry to the state about getting the land back. The DEP - in a January 2013 letter addressed to "Chief Crown Prince Emperor El Bey Bagby (Holmes) Pamunkey" - politely declined.

But the Crown Prince vows to fight on.

"I am getting back on that land, whether it's professionally or whether we have to go out there and do it ourselves," he told the Daily News.

'I'm not an actor'

One of the Crown Prince's goals, he said, is to "clean up" the Powhatan name, which he said has been dragged through the mud. He's also tried to raise $150,000 on the website giveforward.com, although no one has donated.

He said that his bloodline can be traced to Chief Powhatan himself, in eastern Virginia. He said that he answers to someone in King William County, Va., along with the United Nations and an empress in Switzerland.

"I'm not an actor and I'm not a comedian," he said. "I'm a real person in the flesh."

But JoAnne Hawkins, the Powhatan Renape representative on the New Jersey Commission on American Indian Affairs, is not impressed with the man who claims to be the tribe's new leader.

"He isn't legitimate," Hawkins said. "He has nothing to do with Powhatan Renape Nation."

Doreen Adele "Autumn Wind" Scott, the commission's chairwoman and a member of North Jersey's Ramapough Lenape Nation, said she had heard about the Crown Prince and would look into his claims.

But other Powhatan members and people posting on Native-American website forums have questioned why the council hasn't taken action against the Crown Prince.

"Our tribal leadership lacks a spiritual foundation, so we're unable to thrive as an organized Nation and it appears non-members are taking advantage of our time of weakness," Wendy Logan, a Powhatan formerly from South Jersey, said in an email from Arizona.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_j … oKyHQ2H.99

#37 Feb-07-2014 04:36:pm

sschkaak
Website

Very sad.   sad

#38 Feb-07-2014 08:01:pm

ramapoughnative
Website

Truly sad indeed.. and until the state of NJ gets off their dead asses and put some teeth in their recognition of the indigenous population, there will always be wannabes creeping in on the scene. My only hope is this 'crown' whatever finds a good sucker lawyer and opens a suit against the state. None of us will help them this time around until they seriously address our issues first..  roll

Everything I do is for my grandmother for without her, I wouldn't be here today.

#39 Feb-09-2014 09:27:am

ramapoughnative
Website

A statement has been release by the Powhatan Nation recently.  This may be what was needed to reactivate the leadership and become active in the Commission again. Their voice was missed and we can only succeed when we work together.

"We emphatically state that Mr. Bagby has never been elected, appointed or otherwise requested to lead, represent, or speak for our people. He is not, nor has he ever been, an official of the Powhatan Renape Nation."

Everything I do is for my grandmother for without her, I wouldn't be here today.

#40 Feb-09-2014 09:40:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

That's great, maybe El Bey actually did something good.

#41 Feb-12-2014 01:45:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? … 5986248345

New Jersey State Recognized Tribes
The official word from the Powhatan Renape Nation.

Powhatan Renape Nation
Statement on the Activities of El Bey Bagby a.k.a William McRae
Pennsauken, New Jersey, February 8th, 2014

The people of the Powhatan Renape Nation have become aware of reports on the activities of a person calling himself “El Bey Bagby” who claims the titles “Crown Prince” and “Emperor” and who asserts that he is the leader of our Nation. It appears that Mr. Bagby is also known as “William McRae” and is sometimes cited with the surname “Holmes.”

We emphatically state that Mr. Bagby has never been elected, appointed or otherwise requested to lead, represent, or speak for our people. He is not, nor has he ever been, an official of the Powhatan Renape Nation.

It appears that Mr. Bagby has taken advantage of a time of transition in our tribal governance to promote himself as a tribal official. Mr. Bagby has allegedly communicated or attempted to communicate with other American Indian Nations, officials of the State of New Jersey, regional and national organizations and local community groups using our tribal name, letterhead, and seal. He has allegedly received artifacts, sought donations and grants under the same misrepresentations.

As indicated above, Mr. Bagby’s actions and efforts should not be considered official actions on behalf of the Powhatan Renape people.

This statement has been reviewed, discussed and adopted as the official statement of the Powhatan Renape Nation at a general meeting held on the 8th of February, 2014.

#42 Feb-18-2014 01:11:pm

Pensive1
Visitor

The following statement by the Powhatan Renape Nation was approved at its February community meeting and has been distributed for circulation... 

Powhatan Renape Nation
Statement on the Activities of El Bey Bagby a.k.a William McRae
Pennsauken, New Jersey, February 8th, 2014

The people of the Powhatan Renape Nation have become aware of reports on the activities of a
person calling himself “El Bey Bagby” who claims the titles “Crown Prince” and “Emperor” and
who asserts that he is the leader of our Nation. It appears that Mr. Bagby is also known as
“William McRae” and is sometimes cited with the surname “Holmes.”

We emphatically state that Mr. Bagby has never beenelected, appointed or otherwise requested
to lead, represent, or speak for our people. He isnot, nor has he ever been, an official of the
Powhatan Renape Nation.

It appears that Mr. Bagby has taken advantage of a  time of transition in our tribal governance to
promote himself as a tribal official. Mr. Bagby has allegedly communicated or attempted to
communicate with other American Indian Nations, officials of the State of New Jersey, regional
and national organizations and local community groups using our tribal name, letterhead, and
seal. He has allegedly received artifacts, sought  donations and grants under the same
misrepresentations.

As indicated above, Mr. Bagby’s actions and effortsshould not be considered official actions on
behalf of the Powhatan Renape people.

This statement has been reviewed, discussed and adopted as the official statement of the
Powhatan Renape Nation at a general meeting held on the 8th of February, 2014.

#43 Jun-21-2014 02:19:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

tree hugger wrote:

More from the twitter account. Which he is also linking to powhatan.org

May 28,2013

Shamon Edwin Mosley Runnig Buffalo of the Powhatn Renape Nation

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLZeNSRCYAA7ex_.jpg

March 27,2013

Powhatan Renape Nation Shamon Edwin Mosley Running Buffalo With Crown Prince Emperor El Bey Bagby& Elder Grey Wolf

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGaKbOfCcAAWkyL.jpg

Apparently the photos of Mr. Mosley were removed at some point in time.

#44 Jun-22-2014 12:15:am

Suckachsinheet

Is Shamon synonymous with shaman, which is generally not an eastern woodlands term? Just adds another dimension of absurdity to the whole matter...

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#45 Jun-22-2014 07:14:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Suckachsinheet wrote:

Is Shamon synonymous with shaman, which is generally not an eastern woodlands term? Just adds another dimension of absurdity to the whole matter...

He just can't spell.

#46 Jul-08-2014 01:35:pm

NanticokePiney

#47 Jul-08-2014 01:38:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Honey? No need, he's smelling iron right now.

#48 Jul-09-2014 07:15:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/ … 425c9.html

'Crown Prince Emperor' sues Bucks County

Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:00 am | Updated: 6:41 am, Wed Jul 9, 2014.
By James McGinnis Staff writer
It’s Bucks County vs. the Crown Prince Emperor El Bigbay Bagby.
The 41-year-old Ewing, New Jersey, resident, also known as William McCrae, William McRae and William Billingsley, has petitioned a federal judge in Philadelphia to remove him from a criminal case filed in the Bucks County Court.
The reason: the self-proclaimed emperor says he isn't a citizen of the United States.
In his June 30 petition to U.S. District Judge Joel Slomsky, McCrae states he's a member of the disbanded Powhattan Renape tribe once headquartered in the New Jersey.
Court records show he was arrested in Lower Makefield in 2009 on a number of charges, including driving while under the influence, driving without a license and giving false identification to police. No trial was held, though a number of bench warrants were issued by judges in Bucks County, records show.
Calkins Media was unsuccessful in reaching McCrae for comment on his U.S. District Court petition. No phone number was listed in his court petition and the address listed in court documents appeared to be the location of a UPS store.
The Bucks County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday that McCrae was in Mercer County prison. The Mercer County Prosecutor's Office confirmed he was in prison but couldn't provide any additional information Tuesday.
Bucks County President Judge Jeffrey Finley said he hasn't seen McCrae's petition yet. He said he wasn't surprised by it, however.
"Every once in a while, we get these petitions where someone claims that they are not a citizen or that the Constitution doesn't apply to them,” said Finley. “In all honesty, I usually just let them have their say in court, make their statement and then just move on. Whether you’re a citizen of this commonwealth or this nation or not, you’re still subject to our laws.”
McCrae has made headlines before, drawing the attention of the Philadelphia and Trenton newspapers for keeping horses in the backyard of his duplex. He claimed his house was the embassy of his sovereign nation, giving him the right to keep his animals despite directives from local officials to the contrary. On his Twitter account, @CrownEmperor, he posted numerous photos of his horses, along with a letter from the state of New Jersey.
In 2013, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection denied his request for tribal ground.
The official response letter from the state of New Jersey addresses him as "Crown Prince Emperor El Bey Big Bay Bagby (Holmes) Pamunkey."
James McGinnis: 215-704-0451; email: jmcginnis@Calkins.com Twitter @James_McGinnis

#49 Jul-23-2014 08:49:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

http://www.theintell.com/news/local/fed … 640e7.html

Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:58 pm | Updated: 8:42 pm, Tue Jul 22, 2014.
By James McGinnis Staff writer
Sovereign or no, the man who calls himself Crown Prince Emperor El Bey Bigbay Bagby cannot escape criminal charges in Bucks County, a federal judge has ruled.
U.S. District Judge Joel Slomsky has denied the June 30 petition of the crown prince, also known as William McRae, of Ewing, New Jersey.
The 41-year-old McRae asked a federal judge to remove him from the criminal case filed in the Bucks County Court of Common Pleas.
In court documents, McRae argues he’s a member of the Powhattan Renape Tribe and not a citizen of the United States.
McRae has made headlines before, petitioning New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie to grant hundreds of acres of tribal land in the Garden State.
In the federal court order, the judge notes the criminal charges that led to his arrest are in Bucks County.
“In 2009, McRae was charged with several misdemeanor and summary offenses, including driving under the influence,” the judge wrote. “In 2012, the state court issued what appears to be the third bench warrant in the case, which remains outstanding.”
McRae’s legal counsel, Alfred Tar-El, said the “crown prince” plans to keep fighting. A second petition could be filed later this week in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Philadelphia.
James McGinnis: 215-704-0451; email: jmcginnis@Calkins.com Twitter @James_McGinnis

#50 Jul-23-2014 09:09:am

sschkaak
Website

This guy sure knows how to get a lot of attention from the press.   rollhmm

Last edited by sschkaak (Jul-23-2014 09:09:am)

Board footer